.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

BiblioTabla

This is the blog where I keep my list of books read and what I think about them. Occasionally, I mention other reading related items. Get the atom/RSS feed for BiblioTabla. You can also read my main blog here.

Pages read since 1 July 2005 = 289.5

My Photo
Name:
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas, United States

I'm a passionate lay member of the Anglican Communion in the Province known as The Episcopal Church. I'm active in my parish and I'm a DOK. (Don't know what DOK is? See this post.) I live in Texas, where I've had family since at least the 1850s, but I'm from Oregon.

20 June 2005

Books4Kids

The National Endowment for the Humanities has a suggested list of 300 books for summertime reading broken down into four grade groups: K-3, 4-6, 7-8, & 9-12. All of the books are classics that were written before 1960.

There is one book that isn't on the 9-12 list that I would add, Alan Paton's Cry, the Beloved Country. I first read Cry, the Beloved Country in the summer after my sophmore year in high school at the suggestion of my English teacher. It is a very moving tale of loss and forgiveness involving two families of differing racial backgrounds in post-World War II South Africa. It was first published in 1948 and two cinematic versions have been produced, the first in 1951 and the second in 1995.

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton


Growing up, what books do you remember reading during the summer that have stuck with you?

Update - I'm online reading The Beltway Traffic Jam

Catagories: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home